Xandros on Laptop??

Simsy 22:24 26 Jan 2006

Hi folks...

As title really... I'm trying to help someone out here...

Any reason why Xandros Desktop 3 OCE shouldn't run on a laptop?

I'm looking at a P3 850Mg with 128Meg RAM.

I'm thinking specifically of;

Installing a printer? Using a seperate mouse? Using the included nipple mouse?

I can set up and install, (if it's easy!), but then it needs to be easy for the user.

Comments appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

Simsy

Chegs ®™ 22:51 26 Jan 2006

I have tried umpteen distros on an old IBM lappy,no matter which distro I have used I have never yet managed to address the IRQ conflicts caused by its sound/infra-red/PCMCIA ports/Printer/and other assorted sockets on the lappy.I was thinking of installing a DOS partition into which I could install the lappys "98se config/driver files" but I'm just not that clever at linux. :-((

Simsy 22:53 26 Jan 2006

Anyone been successful?

Regards,

Simsy

onthebog 23:02 26 Jan 2006

There should be no problems. I use Xandros 3 in a dual boot envorinment on my home PC and installation was so easy you will not believe it (5 mouse clicks if I remember rightly )
It has to be on of the most automated procedures around. (Who said Linux has to be for geeks?)

click here
Peripheral detection is automatic during setup.

BTW - once you get used to the new OS you may not want to change. Security is inherent - just have a firewall for online stuff. Viruses, spam and adware are not really an issue.

Chegs ®™ 23:22 26 Jan 2006

I didn't say it was hard to install linux on a lappy,it isn't.I just thought you might like to know some of the pitfalls you might encounter.Most of the newer distros are extremely easy to install,as onthebog says,requires little more than a couple of mouse-clicks.If your wanting wireless to work then I can recommend Knoppix 3.8 It picks-up my assorted WiFi cards with little required from me but my inputting the WEP key to access my LAN.I haven't had much of a "play" with Xandros(yet)but a newcomer to linux will be hard pressed to see any difference between any linux distro.They operate in much the same way as windows,eg:you click on a "Start" button and up pops a menu of installed apps/cfg of the desktop,etc

Simsy 12:38 27 Jan 2006

looking for comments with regard to using on a laptop.

I installed it OK on a towerPC, for testing purposes, just to see if it would be a viable OS for the intended user. I've decided that the answer is "Yes"

I'm looking for opinions as to whether it will detrect and use the laptop hardware OK.

Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

Tony275 14:52 27 Jan 2006

I bought a second hand old laptop last year with the intention of learning Linux.

I tried what seemed like hundreds of different versions including Xandros, And after 6 months of trying I gave up.

I searched the net including here and got lots of very helpful advice but I never managed to get any of then running like I have windows running.

There was always a problem that just could'nt be solved.

I wish you all the best in your venture and hope your successful with this.

One good thing to come out of it was I gave the laptop to my wife when i'd given up on linux, And now she uses that and I have my desktop to myself.

Tony

Diodorus Siculus 15:34 27 Jan 2006

I run suse 10 on a fairly new laptop with no significant problems - why not give it a go if it is a second machine?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017