X360 and PC shared conection advice needed.

aleram 07:54 01 Jul 2006

I have a x360 and would like to play online with xbox live, my PC is conected to ntl:home, i have bought a belkin wired router will this work to share the conection?

what is the best way to wire it up? im very novice on this stuff, should i go from usb to the broadband box then use ethernet cables from the router to the PC and Xbox?

any help would be greatly apreiciated :-)

mgmcc 08:06 01 Jul 2006

I'm not sure what you mean by the "broadband box". If this is a Set-Top box or Cable Modem, then you run an ethernet cable from its ethernet port to the router's WAN (Wide Area Network or Internet) port. You then run ethernet cables from the router's LAN (Local Area Network) ports to the networked computers. There is no USB connection involved and no direct connection from the PC to the modem, only to the router.

aleram 08:33 01 Jul 2006

thanks the box is the cable broadband box, do i use standard cat5 ethernet cables i read in another thread that there are different types i didn't know that. also anyone know a good site to by wire from? my local pc shop is a rip off.

spud22 10:29 01 Jul 2006

Maplin sell ethernet cable by the metre with all connections the staff are usually very helpful and willing to give advice.
the cable modem connects to the router by ethernet and your pc and xbox to the router.

mgmcc 11:57 01 Jul 2006

<<< do i use standard cat5 ethernet cables i read in another thread that there are different types i didn't know that >>>

There are two types:

1) Crossover cables, normally only used when connecting two computers *directly* - "Network Adapter to Network Adapter".

2) Straight-wired cables, which are the standard ethernet cables used to connect a computer's network adapter to a Network Hub, Switch or Router.

You want standard straight-wired cables to connect to your Belkin router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires