X P - PRO question.

kito62 10:35 06 Jan 2008

I want to buy a new Laptop here in Germany, but wish to have an " in - English " OS.
Are all laptops with XP Pro equipped with a Language Pack, and if so, is it a difficulty to alter to all - English format?.
REALLY hoping this is possible.... my German is useless.!!! LOL.

Technotiger 10:53 06 Jan 2008
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:20 06 Jan 2008

you can change language to English US however error messages still come up in German.

Not sure how a german keyboard is laid out, this will also make difficulties as whn you change languages the keys aren't alays the same.

kito62 14:17 06 Jan 2008

Thanks guy, I do have a German keyboard on my Laptop, so .... If I upgraded to XP-Pro and installed the language disc also, would this all work.?

DieSse 18:35 06 Jan 2008

Why not ask some suppliers for a unit with English XP on it. This is quite feasible in Spain, so theoretically just as feasible in Germany.

Medion, for instance, ship laptops from Germany I believe, in many different languages.

More of a problem may be finding a laptop with XP - most are now Vista-based.

However, even in Spain the local franchise supplies laptops with no OS at all - so you could also look at that too.

DieSse 18:36 06 Jan 2008

Also try Dell - you can order a laptop from Dell EspaƱa with an English OS on - just call them and ask.

Zak 18:46 06 Jan 2008

Duplicate?

click here

kito62 07:24 07 Jan 2008

Quite right Zak, but new options opened up a day later after talking with others. It would be more sensible to buy in Germany if I can, with regard to perhaps having to have problems rectified.
I am approaching Medion direct to see if they CAN supply with English version already fitted.

Zak 19:21 07 Jan 2008

You must have English version of Win XP Pro and:

"How can I acquire Windows MUI?

The Windows XP/2000 MUI is sold only through Volume Licensing programs such as the Microsoft Open License Program (MOLP / Open), Select, and Enterprise agreement (or with a new computer as an OEM version at customer request). It is not available through retail channels."

Above extracted from:

click here

kito62 07:35 08 Jan 2008

Hi Zak, well yesterday I went into the Medion workshop / saleroom here, and after explaining my situation the guy there told me to just get an OEM copy of XP Home in English from EBay and install it. He reckons it will work fine,

Zak 19:55 08 Jan 2008

That's fine, but please bear in mind that Win XP Pro OEM does not have the Multilingual User Interface Pack (MUI) by default.

The MUI needs to be purchased as an extra.

MS info for the original equipment manufacturer:
Multilingual User Interface Resource Files are only sold as a bundle with the English version of Windows, to make absolutely sure customers have the English version of the OS when installing MUI.

For Windows XP this bundle consists of 6 CDs - one containing the base operating system in English, plus 5 CDs containing the Multilingual User Interface files; etc......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?