x Dial Up Connection

dontaskme 10:41 22 Oct 2004

I am using tesco.net on a windows xp sp1 computer. Recently the internet has been disconnected straight after connecting (about every 2 in 10 attempts), but won't reconnect. A new connection appears called 'x' which tries to connect.

I've scanned with norton antivirus, spybot S&D and ad-aware, which all say no infection (which is odd as there are usually spybots of some kind).

Is it a glitch or malicious? Any suggestions how to fix it

Jackcoms 10:54 22 Oct 2004

Have you checked in the Show All Connections folder for anything other than the Tesco connection?

dontaskme 13:40 22 Oct 2004

That's where it appears. I can delete it, but it comes back with the internet problem. It doesn't appear unless the internet disconnects straight away.

Jackcoms 14:50 22 Oct 2004

Download, install, update and run click here click here

CCleaner is a bit of a long shot. Delete the rogue connection and then immediately run Issues in CCleaner. It deletes, amongst other things, 'leftovers' from un-installed items. You may safely delete everything it finds.

It will also be worth disabling System Restore then running a full scan (AV, malware, etc) with all the scanners you've got (update them first). Don't forget to re-enable Sys Restore when you've finished scanning. Note, however, that by disabling Sys Restore you will lose all your restore points.

By disabling Sys Restore first your scanners should find any rogue elements which are caught in memory between restore points.

rawprawn 15:47 22 Oct 2004

Follow Jackcoms advice and if you need to try another program to scan if his suggestions don't work click here remembering his advice about turning system restore off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone