WZC Settings Problem

spex75 16:05 13 Mar 2008

Hi,
For some bizarre reason the WCZ settings on my laptop keeps switching to STOP. It is set to Automatic, but I have to keep switching it to START manually - and even then it turns off after a few seconds!

There is no other software on the computer that has control of the wireless connection so I'm a wee bit stumped!

Any ideas?

Many thanks,
Willie

Kemistri 16:14 13 Mar 2008

In the services management console, you mean?

Have you tried the generic fixes yet? ie, System Restore or System File Checker.

spex75 16:19 13 Mar 2008

System File Checker???

Not done a system restore. I have just enabled WZC Ethernet option on the wireless adaptor ADVANCED options page, manually started the WCZ in SMC and it detected all the available networks, before I could connect to one though the service stopped again.

If I do a manual start of the service then search for wireless networks it finds them. By this time it has stopped, but if I manually start again I can get it going so I can put in the WEP, but I need to do one more manual start to it to connect. The service then stops, but by this time I'm connected.

Its a strange one, I'm just trying to work out if its a software problem or if I'm just being a biff

Kemistri 16:27 13 Mar 2008

"System File Checker???"

SFC is a valid suggestion. It's quite a good idea to run it once in a while anyway.

What do you mean by "WZC Ethernet option"? It has no relation to Ethernet.

Most Ghits that I checked come up with the same suggestion from forum threads: "you must have 3rd party software that is shutting WZC down". Not the case here, obviously. The only other small nugget of info was to open a command window and enter:
net stop "Wireless Zero Configuration"
net start "Wireless Zero Configuration"
But whether that actually helps, I can't say.

spex75 16:38 13 Mar 2008

I wasn't saying SFC wasn't a valid suggestion - I'd just never heard of it :D

I know WZC has nothing to do with ethernet, but when I go into the device properties in device manager, under the advanced tab there is option for "WZC Managed Ethernet" It was set to disabled so I enabled it, but didn't seem to do much.

I totally agree that it seems like a 3rd party w/less application is shutting down the WZC, but I can't find anything there. Done a Spyware and Virus scan and they are coming up with nothing more than cookies.

Got the driver for the device which I may reinstall, but it works fine physically once it gets going. I think I'll try SFC.

The net stop & start in command window, isn't that just the same doing it in the services console?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires