WXP home - auto update

naviator 14:58 26 Apr 2008

I have recently carried out a new re-install of Windows XP. Routinely after completion I carried out an update. Checking afterwards via the Control Panel I established that my security system was all ticked in green i.e. everything including Auto-update was apparently functioning. Then I found that W Defender could not install definition updates - error code 0x80004002. I tried installing them manually having installed Installer 3.1 v2 beforehand but no success. On the Windows Update site I tried to manually download again only to find that there were 89 security and other downloads which had not been downloaded manually or otherwise despite the green ticks on the W Security Centre panel. Automatic Update is NOT working. How can I get it going again?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:20 26 Apr 2008

Start -run -type - services.msc - press OK

Scroll down to and check background intelligent transfer is started / set to automatic

naviator 16:31 26 Apr 2008

Thank you Fruit Bat/\0/\. I really thought this would be the answer but am still at square one with 89 items still not installed although it all goes through the motions of installing. Status of Background Intel... and Automatic Downloads is "Started" and "Automatic". I stopped them both and then restarted them and all that worked but still no download. Bit of a puzzler! Somewhere between "Installing Updates" showing it all taking place and being completed and the next statement that not all downloads have been installed - none in fact - something happens to stop it all happening. I will try XP in repair mode and send a further post if not successful.

naviator 18:03 26 Apr 2008

Unsuccessful I'm afraid.

wis 21:12 26 Apr 2008

sounds a bit like microsoft registerd, have you
been asked to verify copy xp

naviator 01:18 27 Apr 2008

Has been verified.

birdface 01:31 27 Apr 2008

I think what Wis means is have you registerd your WXP with Microsoft.If not registerd it will not let you download the updates.Or you could download and try this.click here

brundle 08:07 27 Apr 2008

No need to register with MS, only activation required - there is a difference.

brundle 08:11 27 Apr 2008

And you can still download updates during the 30 day activation window...

naviator 09:25 27 Apr 2008

Thank you all for your comments. The curious thing is that Installing Updates functions initially - green bar verifying download; "Updates are being downloaded and installed";Installation Status - Downloading Security Update...(update 26 of 89)...done! etc. This completes at 89 and then installation proceeds only to be followed by "Unable to install some downloads" - none in fact. Had registration not been accepted surely download would not have commenced? Sorry to persist but security is compromised.

brundle 09:32 27 Apr 2008

Try buteman's suggestion - a very handy bit of software that often solves update problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?