WXP boots to a plain desktop background

peterjm 09:22 06 Jun 2009

MY old WXP not used for some time having got though a password problem thanks to helproom advice will now only go so far as booting up to a desktop background which carries no shortcut ikons, no start menu or taskbar. Pressing ctrl-alt-del will take me to the windows task manager.
Any ideas?

ened 09:38 06 Jun 2009

First of all take the cursor down to the bottom of the screen.

It should turn into a small vertical line with an arrow top and bottom.

If it does: hold down the left mouse button and move it upwards.

That should recover the Task Bar.

If you right-click somewhere on the Desktop and select properties - somewhere in there is an option to 'Hide Desktop Icons'. Untick that.

peterjm 10:32 06 Jun 2009

I can only guess that the background is not the desktop background because neither works. Right clicking fails to give me the properties menu which would include arrange icons.
However, if I go into safe mode I do get the normal desktop and right clicking confirms that arrange icons is ticked.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:09 06 Jun 2009

In safe mode create a new account with admin properties.

Boot to new account move all data fro MY documnets in the old profile tp my documents in the new profile.
when you have all necessary data transfered delete the old account.

Sea Urchin 12:17 06 Jun 2009

Try line 195 right-hand side

click here

peterjm 09:57 20 Jun 2009

Sorry for delay. Have carried out as suggested. Can not get beyond the standard background, not blue any more but a MS landscape. There is no taskbar, no icons, no start menu.

rdave13 10:05 20 Jun 2009

Try pressing CTRL+ALT and delete keys to bring up task manager. Click on file, run (new task) and type- explorer.exe .

peterjm 10:45 20 Jun 2009

Thank you. That seems to have done the trick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017