WUAUCLT.EXE ...Problem

Mark-293923 16:30 29 Feb 2008

Hi,
I've been having problems whilst trying to run programs/games, an error message keeps appearing stating low Memory and everything runs slow. I've since discovered that when the PC is booted up, under Windows Task Manager a program called wuauclt.exe appears and is using 100% cpu when I end the process the cpu drops to normal and everything runs ok.
Can anyone tell me what the program is and why it's always active on start up. I've tried msconfig but I can't find anything relating to this program to stop it running. I'm using XP Home addition.

Sea Urchin 16:34 29 Feb 2008

Have a read of this

click here

Sea Urchin 16:38 29 Feb 2008

If it does look lke malware then this might help to solve it

click here

Mark-293923 16:43 29 Feb 2008

Hi Sea urchin, thanks for the quick response. My problem is that the PC is my Fathers and is not connected to the internet, he was given the PC about 6 Months ago and has just recently loaded a fishing simulator game,(A Copy) but I'm not sure if the problem was there to start with; I dont think it was.

Sea Urchin 17:15 29 Feb 2008

As you would have seen from my first link this file is the Windows Update client (Windows Update AutoUpdate Client) to use its full name, which connects to the Microsoft website to download and install the latest updates for the Windows operating system. As your father's PC is not connected to the Internet I assume that he would not be needing this function. This should be located in C:\Windows\system32\wuauclt.exe - if not then it's probably malware. Either way you could try to terminate the process by searching it out.

Mark-293923 17:24 29 Feb 2008

I'll try searching and eliminating it.

Many thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?