Wrongly reported hard disk space

fritwash 14:30 13 Jan 2005

Hi all,
I am running XP on a partitioned 120 gb hard drive, 20 gb for windows and 100gb for "D" drive. My "D" drive reported as having only 400mb of free space but if I select all files and look in properties it shows 67 gb of data leaving approx 30 gb. this problem is stopping me adding any big files to my "D" drive such as DVD files. I have deleted unwanted files to get down to 67 gb but the Drive still shows only 400 mb of free space.

Any advice please

mattyc_92 14:42 13 Jan 2005

Have you got SystemWorks installed??? Also disable System Restore on that drive to "free up spce" (or change the amount of space is preserved for System Restore!!!)....

fritwash 14:51 13 Jan 2005

Hi, mattyc_92

Yes I do have system works installed, is that a problem? Could you please explain how to disable system restore.

Cheers Eric

mattyc_92 15:29 13 Jan 2005

First off... right click rycle bin and select the "clear norton protected files" (or something like that... Not sure what it says).. This will remove ALL the files off ALL your drives that systemworks has "backed up"

Now to "disbale"/"resize" the amount of space for System Restore.... Right-click onto "My computer" and select the tab "System Restore" you can disbale it on all drives or just disbale on selected drives (or the same for "resizing the space")

fritwash 15:47 13 Jan 2005

Cheers mattyc_92
Problem solved, it looks like the norton protected bin was the problem. I did as you suggested and got back almost 25 gb of space, I went back and turned system restore back on and still have 25 gb of free space.

Thanks once again

Eric

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?