Wrong driver inserted - how to change/remove it?

Procrastinus 10:34 13 Oct 2008

I inadvertently installed a wrong driver into Win98 for a sound card. Needless to say the card does not work. I now have the correct driver for a SoundBlaster CT4870 but need to delete the original. I have checked drivers in the system32 file, but do not recognize any file numbers relating to the driver installation file.
How can I remove the old, or install the new driver over it?
Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:42 13 Oct 2008

Control panel - system - device manager - scroll down to the sound card right click uninstall.

then Action - scan for new hardware - when it finds the card point it to where you have downloaded the new driver.

Procrastinus 15:13 13 Oct 2008

Thanks - will give it a go when I get home!

Stuartli 15:17 13 Oct 2008

Better, I would respectfully suggest, to Reboot after following Fruit Bat /\0/\'s initial advice to Uninstall your sound card - this will then allow Windows to open the Find New Hardware wizard and you can direct it to the correct drivers.

Procrastinus 09:28 15 Oct 2008

Good morning Fruit Bat /\0/\, unfortunately 'sound card' does not appear in the list in Device Manger. It did appear with a yellow query mark before I made the wrong driver insertion, but it has now gone. I looked under other headings but could not find it. I have tried removing the card, rebooting without it to try to get the wizard going, but to no avail.
Good day to you Stuartli, I certainly will take your advice when the dratted thing is located!

Any other ideas welcome!

Diemmess 10:05 15 Oct 2008

Sound and the modem seemed to try to make difficulties for the operator in long ago days.

If you are absolutely sure the sound card doesn't appear in Device Manager with any group like sound and games controller then I hope you can just run the driver setup file regardless.
The wrong drivers might even disappear in a blast of CCleaner.

If this trouble has all happened in the last day or two have you tried the old but reliable saver that is part of W98 and 98SE.

Boot up, but from the moment you switch on, keep tapping F8 until the screen shows white letters on a black background and offers a choice of 5 things to do.
Choose (I think it is the last) "Command Prompt Only"

You will then have a very simple screen:
C:>
Type:
scanreg /restore

(note 1 space between "scanreg" and "/restore")

Press Enter.

The screen will offer five alternative dates going back in time, when Windows booted normally.
Pick a date BEFORE the trouble, press enter and follow the prompts.

Procrastinus 18:18 16 Oct 2008

Good evening Diemmess, and thanks - that worked!

Diemmess 14:43 17 Oct 2008

Just noticed your success, I'm very pleased for you.

For the record, was it the scanreg manoeuvre that did the trick?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?