Wrong Drive Letter

kat64 00:42 18 Feb 2007

Hi, I recently installed a new 160 Gb Hard drive and then installed XP pro. and SP2. I didnt realise it at the time but I made the mistake of Not disconnecting my Card Reader, consequently My hard dive is I: instead of C:
I have Partition Magic 8.0 installed is there a way i can use this to change the drive letter to C:
Kind regards

vinnyT 04:51 18 Feb 2007

This tells you how to do it under xp (and vista), click here.

But note the warning;
"1. You should not change drives containing system information or installed programs."

If you haven't installed any software (other than the os), then there may not be any probs.

There should be a way to do it, in a non-destructive way, from within PM 8, unfortunetly, it's been many years since I last used it.

The same Q was asked on google answers, you may find it helps, click here

bjantbear 09:00 18 Feb 2007

I had the same problem when I installed windows XP onto a new hard drive.

My drive letter became E & F for the 2 hard drives that i have installed.

I have found that I have got used to the wrong letters and it does not cause any problems when installing other programmes except once which I got over by installing a memory stick as the computer has the drive letter C for my removable drives.

Regards

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:24 18 Feb 2007

Change system Drive Letter click here

kat64 11:46 18 Feb 2007

Many thanks everyone for your suggestions,
I will look into them all and let you know how i do,
grateful thanks
regards

kat64 21:53 18 Feb 2007

thank you all for your input. i reckon the only safe way to resolve this is to format and reinstall windows and remembering to disconnect my Card reader next time.
Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?