writing to cd-r and cd-rw

[email protected] 17:44 30 Sep 2010

I use both type of cd to back up files, using the 'Send to' instruction.
Normally I have no problem with this, but recently I have attempted to copy files to a disk and get a message saying that it is full, although I know that there is adequate space.
When I check the 'CD details', that also indicates there is not space available!
With cd-rw I know I can delete all items, but I am reluctant to destroy a cd-r when I know there is often about two-thirds of the disk unused.

Are you sure you are not "finalizing" the disks inadvertently?

[email protected] 18:10 30 Sep 2010

It would certainly be inadvertently, as I don't know how to do that - and am not too sure what it means!!!

Pop a cd-r into your drive then open 'My Computer' if it says how much data is on it but also no space free then it has been finalized.

Pop a cd-r into your drive then open 'My Computer' if it says how much data is on it but also no space free then it has been finalized.

Which Burning program are you using? You may have set the 'settings' to finalize disks.

What it means is that you have made it unable to accept more data.

There may be a setting for "Multisession" which means you can write to the same disk several times.

Ashampoo do a Free Burning program which will let you choose whether to go Multisession or to finalize, simple to use.

click here

gazzaho 13:27 02 Oct 2010

Finalize is like breaking the tab on an old audio cassette or video tape, the difference is you can't use a bit of sticky tape to cover the hole and re-record, it a one way process.

[email protected] 18:11 02 Oct 2010

Thank you for your contributions.
I use a simple "Save as ........." when copying files to the CD's.
I do not use any Burning program.
What puzzles me is that I regularly copy files to disks without any problems and them, without any change to the method I use, the disk shows as full or, it appears, becomes finalized.
The obvious solution would seem to be using only CD-RW disks, then when this happens, at least I can delete the files and start again.
Thanks, again, anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires