"Write protected" error when using CD-RWs

3rdday 23:55 27 Jun 2003

I'm trying to use a CD-RW to write files directly to it. I'm told that you can do this in XP, but if I try and copy files to the E: drive it comes up with "Cannot copy ... The disk is write-protected. Remoe the write-protection or use another disk." I can use Nero to write stuff to it okay, but not with Windows explorer.

I've also tried using InCD, but this will only do a "quick erase" of a disk. If I try and do a full erase or a format, it comes up with an error also.

What am I doing wrong?

Despicable Desperado 00:58 28 Jun 2003

Use one or the other but not both. XP uses a cutdown version of Roxio Easy CD Creator which does not sit easily with Nero/InCD. If all you want is the basics uninstall Nero and you should be OK.

3rdday 12:20 28 Jun 2003

Surely that would mean that you can never use InCD on XP. You'd think that would get a mention on Ahead's website or elsewhere.

I do use Nero for burning CDs and its very good. However, I am wanting to use a backup tool which relies on having working packet-wrting software, such as InCD already installed and at the moment this won't work.

Anyway, I've uninstalled InCD (it's definitely gone and not running) and I'm still getting the "write-protected" error

palinka 19:32 28 Jun 2003

Do you get the same message if you use another disk? My experience is that 1 in 5 disks can be faulty.

3rdday 22:32 28 Jun 2003

Looks like my PC just doesn't like my new CD rewriter.

First of all, I discovered that I had Instant CD/DVD installed, so I tried formatting the disk using this. It worked with some disks, but not with others. The it crashed the PC.

So, I uninstalled it and tried using Windows XP's CD writing thing. This was okay as far as it goes until it came to trying to erase a disk and then my PC would completely lock up, whatever disk I used.

So I have now taken out my new 52x24x52 writer and put my old one back in. Things seem to work okay now. I will try installing InCD again and see what happens. In the meantime, if anyone is in the market for a nearly new MSI CR52-A2 ....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?