Write-protected CD-RWs?

Plump Peaches 14:18 27 Jan 2005

Hi - Can anyone help? I'm using windows XP and I’m having a few issues with Roxio's drag to disk on my CD-RW discs. I’m trying to copy some files onto disk to save them (they consist of .doc files and .jpg / .bmp). I can copy them onto the CD-R discs no problem but when I try to copy them to the CD-RW ones I get the error message “CANNOT CREATE OR REPLACE ‘FILENAME’: ACCESS IS DENIED. MAKE SURE THE DISK IS NOT FULL OR WRITE-PROTECTED AND THAT THE FILE IS NOT CURRENTLY IN USE”. Can CD-RWs be write-protected? If so, how do you un-write-protect them! I have tried formatting the disk to no avail... I'd be very gratefull for any help. Thanks
*jo*

rawprawn 15:40 27 Jan 2005

You could try this freeware, but it will only run if you have .network installed click here, usually formatting it solves the problem, or it may just be a rogue disc so try a different CDRW first.

Noelg23 15:43 27 Jan 2005

have you tried to format them? that might help...

mattyc_92 16:54 27 Jan 2005

Quote from Plump Peaches.. "I have tried formatting the disk to no avail"

Noelg23 16:59 27 Jan 2005

oh sorry...

mattyc_92 17:01 27 Jan 2005

What program did you use to format the disk??? You should use Drag-to-disk so that it is reconised as writable

Jo3 12:46 28 Jan 2005

I have used Roxio to format the disk. I have also tried several other disks, all of them have the same issue?

Jo3 12:51 28 Jan 2005

By-the way, i can copy to the CD-R discs, but every CD-RW i try is access denied. The are CD-RW 80min/700MB discs from Imation.

JonnyTub 12:55 28 Jan 2005

if you right click on the drive and select properties, is there a tab heading named dla?

Jo3 13:00 28 Jan 2005

no - 'general', 'autoplay', 'hardware', 'sharing', 'recording.

JonnyTub 13:04 28 Jan 2005

that throw's my idea out the window, what version of roxio are you using ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie