Write Once Read Many Tapes

loislane 17:14 25 Jun 2004

We deal with a government office that wants us to use Write Once Read Many tapes to backup our data e.g passport copies etc. I have been looking for suppliers the only two are sony and ibm.
Has anyone used this system if so how much does it cost?

Falkyrn 17:27 25 Jun 2004

Dell also supply suitable tape drives

Imation click here supply tapes not sure about the drives though

wee eddie 20:14 25 Jun 2004

That has been reading the latest hand out from DoE.

There appears to be a problem when it comes to the storage of the Required Identification Details of all new staff.

There was a thread on this earlier. I shall try to find it, but the conclusion was not very satisfactory. Apparently CD or DVD is not sufficiently secure!

Dorsai 20:26 25 Jun 2004

i alway thought that WORM(T) stood for Write Once, Read Many (Times) (Not tapes) .Eg a CD-R...you can write once to it, but read from it many times...where as a tape type storeage solution it re-writable...you can write to it as many times as you want...it just writes over the old stuff...not very Write Once.....

Falkyrn 21:48 25 Jun 2004

Worm tapes are another development which is supposed to provide a secure backup facility

The tapes and the hardware have special security functions embedded which ensure through combined software and hardware (I am assured) that each tape can only be written to once while allowing numerous readings of said tape and preventing erasures.

click here
gives some more info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone