WPA and WEP on a laptop

dms05 09:22 17 Aug 2006

I've been asked if a laptop (running XP SP2) that is set up to use an WPA encrypted network by default can also be used to occassionally access another network using WEP encryption and will XP's WiFi Maager handle this so it's transparent to the user (other than having to press Connect> when the WEP network is found).

FelixTCat 09:57 17 Aug 2006

dms05,

I can't say whether that is always possible. I have a Centrino laptop and use the Intel connectivity software. With this you set up a profile for each connection, including the encryption.

Not only can you then choose between different networks if they are all present, but if only one in your profiles is present it will automatically log on without any user input at all.

You can add more profiles easily, so if you are in a location with more than 1 network that you want to use, you set them both up as profiles and switching between them is just 2 mouse clicks - 1 to open the list of networks and 1 to select the one you want.

I believe that the Windows software can do the same; I just prefer the Intel.

Regards,

Felix

ade.h 14:18 17 Aug 2006

Windows WZC is pretty similar, except that the profiles - or equivalent - are created for you whenever you browse for and connect to a new SSID and enter any encryption key.

dms05 20:29 17 Aug 2006

Many thanks for your response. I'll give it a try and see what happens. I didn't want to mess up someone elses laptop by trying before I asked.

ade.h 20:40 17 Aug 2006

You can always remove its entry afterwards; it's on the middle tab of three in the Wireless Connection's properties box.

katebush 11:25 18 Aug 2006

You can freely conifgure few connection profiles, each with different security setting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?