WPA-PSK question

GoingGrey 18:46 01 Mar 2006

If in the Network details windows it says encryption disabled does it mean the PSK is being broadcast and therefore capable of being scanned?

In such circumstances I don’t connect, but I am more worried about key being broadcast.

ade.h 18:51 01 Mar 2006

No; it means that no form of encryption protocol is being used. So you have no WPA, not even WEP and the network is open.

What's your router?

GoingGrey 20:11 01 Mar 2006

ade.h
I posted a subject “encryption disabled when trying to connect” on Sunday 26th Feb, which I details the router etc. I don’t mean to create a duplicate thread here and annoy those that may be able to assist.

Under this subject I am curious as to what the message on the laptop means and the implications.

I think the router is doing its job in it that it wont let my laptop connect, but can a third party determine what the PSK is as a result of the laptop trying to connect without encryption?

Thanks

ade.h 21:00 01 Mar 2006

As I said above, perhaps not clearly enough, WPA actually is encryption, therefore you have no WPA and and an open network. The inability to connect is because of this. The key is not actually broadcast by the router; the router simply waits for a client device to provide, like giving a password to a sentry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?