WPA-PSK encryption key

jeano 17:48 17 Jul 2007

Have Netgear router DG834GT and desktop running XP Professional. Have Acer Aspire Laptop with AR500SG Wireless Network adapter. Have successfully set up the router and laptop is accessing Internet but the connection is currently insecure. Have set up access control and entered the id of the laptop. I want to set up WPA-PSK but come unstuck re the encryption key. Where does it come from? Other posts I have read talk about it being "on the box" or is this specific to other routers? Can I enter any sequence and which comes first, the laptop or the router config? I've clicked a post link which gave me a site which generated a random key which I now have ready but am unclear whether this key has to be specific to the wireless card. An idiot's step by step guide would be useful.

Gongoozler 17:54 17 Jul 2007

Hi jeano, I think the best way is to have your primary computer connected by Ethernet cable, and then set up the key using the router software. You then set up the wireless link on any other computers on your network with the same key.

postie24 18:26 17 Jul 2007

Go into the router homepage to set up WPA-PSK 1st.
With the key you already have,enter it where prompted and click apply.Close the router homepage.
Right click on the wireless icon in taskbar,click view available networks,and click on your network.
Here you will be prompted for the same key again,enter it,re-enter it,and you will have a secured wireless network.

2neat 22:15 17 Jul 2007

one idiots guide click here :)

jeano 00:35 19 Jul 2007

Thanks for responses folks. Haven't had time to try it out yet - work commitments plus other issues generated by buying two new machines at the same time - still trying to get some other basic stuff to work - will be the subject of other posts. Will report back when had chance to try it out.

Strawballs 12:44 19 Jul 2007

The Orange live box gives you the key that is pre-installed

jeano 00:37 20 Jul 2007

Now entered WPA encryption key to both machines - wireless network now secure. Funny thing though, didn't like netgear didn't like 64 char key - had to make it 63 - hey ho!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?