Would you, or do you use online storage?

SB23 16:43 11 Nov 2006

I've been reading alot lately about the use of online storage.
One of the other mags that I buy along with my copy of PCA, has a feature about this growing trend, and although it does sound interesting that I could save files, music etc at one of these storage facilities, it just got me wondering about the security of these places. Some of them are even free.
Does anyone use them?

Steve

octal 16:49 11 Nov 2006

I don't think I'd be inclined to save anything sensitive on there, but I do find it useful sometimes storing documents on there that I won't to share at home and work, again nothing I don't mind losing if anything goes wrong or don't care if it's hacked. I have a paid for Lycos account which has 1GB so there's plenty of room.

octal 16:50 11 Nov 2006

won't should read want

GaT7 17:18 11 Nov 2006

My views & practices about this are very similar to octal's. I use the free Mediamax/Streamload click here (25Gb free, 1Gb download limit per month), BT Digital Vault click here & a Googlemail account gmail.google.com/ (both 2Gb free). G

daisy2bell 17:21 11 Nov 2006

I use my web space to upload files photos etc, as a backup. I wouldn't put any important materiel such as passwords or bank details on there though.

Kate B 17:27 11 Nov 2006

I use my webspace as an additional backup for data I really don't want to lose, such as photographs, but I wouldn't pay for online storage and I also have a separate hard drive at home which is my primary backup. I wrote a piece about this recently - note, it's a deliberately provocative rant, but it does raise points I'm concerned about. click here

SB23 17:45 11 Nov 2006

Thanks for your comments so far.
I would never use the space for anything of importance, but, it was a service I had never thought of using until this week, especially if its free.
There is alot that I could put in it, and if the pc did ever go belly up, then I know that the stuff is safe, and easy to access.

GaT7 17:54 11 Nov 2006

"..if the pc did ever go belly up, then I know that the stuff is safe, and easy to access." - could well work out that way but don't take chances unless you're OK to lose that backup or have additional backup means:

octal - 'again nothing I don't mind losing if anything goes wrong'

Kate B - 'I use my webspace as an additional backup' & 'I also have a separate hard drive at home which is my primary backup'

G

Jimmy14 18:14 11 Nov 2006

Just after installing and registering the free 10Gb online storage deal from the PC ADVISOR January (138) issue DVD. Excellent.

brundle 18:44 11 Nov 2006

I have been using mozy for some time (I think I'll swap to some of the other options that have appeared here actually, better deals) - online storage is a boon for the less technical among us, the majority of `ordinary` computer users don't back up in my experience, it's just too much trouble - anything that automates the process has got to be good.
For many people it's only when they actually lose something important that they take a different view.
I'm not defending the stance of people who don't do backups, just that it really is too much bother and expense for some...some people never service their car and complain when it breaks down...same thing.

Newuser38 19:23 11 Nov 2006

click here gives the comments after Kate B's article. I would be intrigued how many others use gmail and yahoo. The free 10gig on the PCA DVD today is only free for a limited time, 3 months in fact. Is it and the other paid for online offers cheaper and more secure than say a 250GB HDD for £69.99 or 500GB for £119.99 in Staples Chistmas Catalogue with the papers today?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?