would you buy this monitor?

darthballs 09:37 17 Jul 2007

i've been offered a monitor for a tenner, but heres the catch:
The nature of the fault is, when the monitor is powered on and connected to a computer, the image shows on the screen perfectly for about 2 seconds then the screen goes blank - as if it were not receiving a signal from a video card.

If you pull out the video cable and put it back in again, the screen will come on for another 2 seconds.

what do you reckon guys? if its just the cable, thats simple enough but if its the actual monitor, would be cheap to repair or should i just buy a new one?
thankz

crosstrainer 09:42 17 Jul 2007

Buy a new one, from the fault you describe, it is more than likely the monitor at fault...possibly the g board, but you don't mention make or model....if it's a high spec modern model, you would still be looking at a fair chunk of cash, and end up with a second-hand monitor anyway.

jimv7 09:43 17 Jul 2007

No I would not buy this faulty monitor, a new 19" 1 can be had for £35 click here

darthballs 10:12 17 Jul 2007

thanks peeps, thought it might have been worth it, but maybe not,
by the way, its an acer 19" flatscreen

crosstrainer 10:36 17 Jul 2007

Depending on model (AL1912?) and age of monitor, it's still going to cost...We send these back for repair.

Stuartli 11:03 17 Jul 2007

Why not take it to a local independent audio/visual retailer and ask for an estimate to repair the monitor in its workshop?

Monitors are basically the same as LCD TVs and I'm sure that you would, at the most, have to meet the cost of the estimate if it is not repairable (most workshops waive an estimate fee if a go ahead is given).

Stuartli 11:31 17 Jul 2007

However, if you are not successful, then here's the just received LG 22in monitor offer from e-Buyer:

click here

£190 with free delivery...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?