Would This Work? BT and Network Cable

alexgray104 00:22 29 May 2007

Hi,

I have just had a new shed built in the garden and when doing the foundation, I just laid standard 2 pair twisted phone wire instead of the thicker RJ45 cable because I thought I'd be able to use a modem at the shed end. However, it turns out you can't use more than 1 dsl modem on the same line, so I'm stuck with no internet in there. Rather than dig everything up again (real last resort) and lay network cable, I was wondering whether I could utilise the phone wire that's currently under there.
After a quick google, I found Rj45 to BT Adaptors. So what I propose to do is:

Router LAN Connection >> RJ45/BT Converter >> Phone Cable to Shed >> BT/RJ45 converter >> Laptop.

Question Is, would this work in providing me with a stable broadband connection from my router in the house, max 40 metres away??

Many Thanks in advance for your help.

Crazygeorge3 08:40 29 May 2007

Hey, it could work, but it sounds like a lot of fuss, i suggest shelling out for a wireless router, you can pick them up for as low as £30 now

Bagsey 09:28 29 May 2007

Which router are you using in the house.???

alexgray104 12:32 29 May 2007

Thanks for the replies...

I already have a wireless router in the house - hence not being able to use my old dsl modem in the shed as originally planned.

It is the D-Link G604-T or something like that.. nearly 2 years old now I think.

Unfortunately, the wireless signal doesn't quite reach down there, and i'm lucky if I can get a patchy signal, which is why I laid the phone cable.

Dipso 22:16 29 May 2007

Long lengths of standard phone wire doesn't tend to perform that well with broadband e.g telephone extension cables so I can't see this working too well. If the adapter isn't too expensive you could try it. If re-digging up the garden is a last resort I have confirmed your router supports WDS Wireless Distribution service click here however this isn't as fast as a wired conection would be.

Robotic_Rob 22:33 29 May 2007

I think you will find that extension cable have the wires running in parallel (straight). Proper phone cable is twisted in the direction of the magnetic field. Therefore the signal is carried better.
On that note i would buy an RJ45 crimper (£10) and buy a couple of RJ45 headers (50p/£1 each) and i would chop the BT plugs off and put the RJ45 headers on. Signal lost in the resistance between connections is lowered since they is fewer connections.
40 Meters is a fair distance, but if you think about it the signal is carried all the way from the distribution block without any signal boosters (which is how many miles?). So I'm guessing that so long as you've used a decent twisted pair cable, its probably going to be the best quality your going to get.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:37 29 May 2007

Put a directional antenna on the wireless and point it to the shed.

click here

alexgray104 22:52 29 May 2007

Robotic_Rob..The cable installed is definately twisted pair. I think it is 2 pair (orange and blue), so i'll have a go with your RJ45 crimping idea. Just out of interest, if 2 pair twisted cable will work to provide a broadband connection, what are all the other wires in network cable for?

Cheers,

Alex

Ashrich 23:01 29 May 2007

This should explain what the wires are for , click here , have a look at the diagrams .

Ashley

Robotic_Rob 23:09 29 May 2007

I hope the following link helps you to understand
click here

You will find the a twisted cables are slightly chunkier than a normal straight cable (if you've ever noticed that extension cables are flat as a pancake).

Depending on the devices that connected. Usually there are four wires to create two network connections. Sometimes the two devices need both connections to be able to 'talk' to each other. Sometimes the devices are designed so it only needs one of the connections to 'talk' to each other. But it uses both just in case one connection goes down (like a backup feature, if you understand). The rest are usually used as spares, just in case the wires snap that are used for the network connections. Or for extra features that the devices use. Like in many different cables.

Daveboy 23:10 29 May 2007

Did you just bury the cable or is it ducted/piped to the shed ? Is it possible to use the old cable to pull thru a cat5 ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?