Would this be fine for now? (comp specs)

Posky 12:07 04 Jun 2008

Hello there, I've been researching heavily on what computer specifications are good now days and am just wondering if these specs are good for heavy gaming (Games like Age of Conan, Spore & Crysis etc) also I'll be doing some multitasking and sometimes video editing. Would these specs suit what I've just explain well?

CPU: Intel® Core 2 Quad Q9450
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Golden Orb II
Motherboard: NEW! Asus P5N-T Deluxe (nForce 780i chipset, 3-way SLI)

Memory: 4.0GB Corsair DDR2 1066mhz Dominator (4x 1GB)
Hard Drives: (2) 500GB S-ATA2 3.0Gb/s

Optical Drive: 20x DVD±RW DL S-ATA Lightscribe

Graphics card: NVidia GeForce 8800GTS 512MB

Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio
perating System: Microsoft® Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Software: Norton Anti-Virus 2008
PSU: 1200W Thermaltake ToughPower Modular
Case: NEW! Coolermaster Cosmos

brundle 18:57 04 Jun 2008

Looks pretty powerful to me, and you'll get the full benefit of the 4GB memory with that 64 bit OS.

Totally-braindead 20:05 04 Jun 2008

As long as any hardware you propose using has 64 bit drivers and as long as the games have no issues with 64 bit windows then fine. Looks like a terrific system though considering all the other top end parts you might want to think about a slightly more powerful graphics card. Kind of lost track so unsure what that would be but the 8800GTS was the best last year so it makes sense that theres something a bit faster out now. Its still a brilliant card don't get me wrong its just the rest of your system seems to be so high end, mind you, you could always replace the card in a year or twos time if you so wished.
I would kill for a 8800GTS but I can't afford a new card at the moment.

Joe R 22:09 04 Jun 2008

Posky,

got to agree with Totally-braindead here.
The system is a superb piece of kit, down to the case and power supply, but the graphic card is possibly the weakest link in the set-up.

Maybe a 9800GX2, or a Radeon HD 3870X2, would be more suitable for a system like this.

A second optical drive is also a cheap upgrade, and would enable disc to disc copying.

Posky 22:39 04 Jun 2008

Thanks a lot people! The amount of time I've looked into this stuff (considering I'm a complete novice with comps) I'm glad to get possitive feedback from my first custom computer :D

I'll buy that soon. Thanks.

Posky 22:49 04 Jun 2008

Oh I was also thinking- When the 8800gts becomes really low end, I could just put in another 1-2 of the same cards... Would that boost the system a fair amount?

Gav5 21:35 07 Jun 2008

Depending on application, you only get 20/30% performance increase by adding another card. Better to get the best single card you can afford and replace it as and when.

I use mine for 6/8 months, sell it on ebay and buy the next step up. Works out quite economical.

Totally-braindead 16:54 08 Jun 2008

I have to agree with Gav5 about the SLI idea. I have an SLI board and I thought I would add a second card when things slowed up. By the time I decided to do this not only could I no longer get the exact same card as I had but the much higher powered cards had dropped so much it didn't make much sense to add a second low end card.

I found it was better performancewise and poundwise to get a single card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017