Would like to add a tv tuner card

trisha01 07:20 13 Mar 2007

I'd like to add a tv tuner card what I'd like to know is how would I know which one to get and would it be easy enough to fit?

PC is only a few months old and running XP MCE

many thanks

Stuartli 08:46 13 Mar 2007

Any of the main brands such as Hauppauge will deliver what you want (look for a Freeview or Digital + Analogue card) and ensure that you can deliver a good transmission signal to it.

Main differences lie with the software, how easily it is to configure and to use for watching TV or listening to radio channels.

I use both ShowShifter and Twinhan's own software with my Twinhan Freeview D+A PCI card - the main advantage of the Twinhan software is that you can keep the TV display "on top" whilst surfing or working, which is not possible with ShowShifter.

Stuartli 08:56 13 Mar 2007

Hybrid is another term for a D+A (Digital + Analogue) TV card.

eedcam 09:18 13 Mar 2007

As Stuartli said but if you are not confident you could try pcworld if they still do free fitting if you buy the card from them .Or a local freelance pc guy should only charge about £25to fit. Might even be cheaper if he gets the card

Fingees 09:23 13 Mar 2007

You can also purchase an external tv card, that plugs into usb socket.

they come a either a small box type with a USB lead, or rather like a usb memory stick,

That will save any installation problems

Stuartli 09:43 13 Mar 2007

Fitting a PCI card is pretty straightforward once you realise the basic steps.

Here's a guide:

click here

The saving compared to using someone else to do it will pay for the card and you'll also have the confidence to undertake other upgrades in the future.

trisha01 23:01 13 Mar 2007

Thanks - someone mentioned the USB type today so might look into that - but the diagrams and instructions were easy to follow.

smokingbeagle 03:27 14 Mar 2007

click here
The reviews are a year old but give an indication of what's out there.

Stuartli 13:03 14 Mar 2007

The very latest USB stick from Hauppauge:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?