Worth the Upgrade?

Alien463 07:47 16 Aug 2003

Hi.

I am recently opting for NTL Broadband's 1mb Internet service, and need to wirelessly network two of my computers together to share the connection.

However, one of the computers for networking has an extremely low computer spec, and failed the ntl broadband checker when it was run on the computer.

Problems include:

RAM Modules - computer only has 96 Megabytes Installed Memory

PC only has 233 megahertz Cyrix MII processor

The BIOS: Award Software 4.51PG 07/15/98

Harddrive Space -

3.49 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
1.22 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

The Broadband checker also mentioned that the computer had no spare usb ports - which means that I will probably have to change the USB card (from 1.1 to 2.0) and / or add a four port hub to allow more connections.

My questions are:

Roughly how much would all this upgrading cost?

Is it worth the money - would it be wiser to buy a new low budget PC instead?

Thanks in advance,

Alien463

Forum Editor 08:06 16 Aug 2003

a new low budget PC instead?

Yes. The current processor is far too slow, and the motherboard will almost certainly not be capable of supporting the kind of upgrade you will need.

Money spent on upgrading such a machine to a broadband - friendly state would be better put towards a new, faster machine. A modern budget machine will be more than capable of doing the job, and needn't cost a fortune. It will also come with Windows XP, which makes internet connection sharing/networking a breeze.

goonerbill 08:49 16 Aug 2003

well, looks like the FE got in first.

good budget pc would be ya best bet, as there would be very little ya could use from ya old pc if ya upgraded it with the exception of the hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?