worm type infection on MSN.

the1andonlyplug 16:38 09 Aug 2007

I recently was chatting with a friend on msn, I had a message pop up inviting me to accept a file titled 'My new pictures' as I was expecting her to send me some recent pics of her and grandchildren I accepted the file, it was a zipped file which passed the AVG test, however when I opened it, there were no jpeg icons as I expected but one icon for an application. I assumed it was the program she had created a slide show with and opened it, everything on my computer froze, then one by one my windows closed, I had to pull the plug to close it.
After I rebooted I ask my friend what the file was, she said she had not sent me a file but a similar thing had happened to her a few hours earlier. Within minutes a web-link appeared on the screen inviting me to view some online pictures of "My new sexy webcam pics"... I knew then that something was wrong as my friend would not do that. When I told her what was on my screen, she had nothing on her screen about it. We went thru the usual delete files and she has even removed msn and reinstalled it but it is still doing the same things.
Has anyone any ideas about what this is please and how to resolve it? Many thanks, Paul.

rdave13 17:16 09 Aug 2007

Try running a full antivirus scan. also run asquared, click here

Also superantispyware, click here
and spybot s&d, click here

the1andonlyplug 17:40 09 Aug 2007

Yeah, I did run the AVG over the file before I opened it because it was a .zip, it said it was clean. I've run a full AVG scan since and that shows nothing, also run AdAware with no sign of troubles. But it appears that whatever it was sends itself thru MSN messenger without the sender knowing! I've contacted everyone on my contacts list to let them know to save it spreading further but it's still a worry.

rdave13 18:02 09 Aug 2007

I'd still run anti Trojan/worm programs and also advise your friends to. Sometimes an av or one antispyware program isn't enough.

the1andonlyplug 18:54 10 Aug 2007

I've just heard from my friend that her AVG has found the following but is unable to move it to the virus vault:
windows/sys32/drivers/coresystem/trojan horse backdoor

Also after running A-Squared, another threat was found called: antiworm 2008

Has anyone got ideas or info on these please?

the1andonlyplug 21:02 10 Aug 2007

Thanks Marg, we'll try that. The other prog you suggested, (Active Virus Shield), I found it and downloaded it, but can't install it yet because it wants to remove my AVG which i'd rather not do. I'm keeping it for future use tho, many thanks everybody. Paul.

namtas 21:26 10 Aug 2007

You could try this

click here

I wouuld also think that you may have to remove any restore points as they may allow a re-infection

the1andonlyplug 15:38 11 Aug 2007

Hi Marg, I just did a Google search and found it at:
click here
it was the only offering I could get it to download from, all the others were as you say, dead links to AOL. I still have the downloaded file if anyone else should need it. All the best, Paul.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?