Worm Infected Program files in AVG vault -

Patr100 19:35 10 Jun 2007

Ok .Worse problem in my years of home computing. Pc started behaving strangely - ran up to date AVG in safe mode - found infection(mostly delf.cmt worm) in many program exe files and uninstall files which it has quaranteened as infected - seems I now cannot restore these files to run programs affected or even properly uninstall many of them because these infected files are missing (in the vault) .

Major overhaul of hard disk looks necessary - also the rising.exe infection is back as I have just blocked it again with Zone Alarm!

Arghhhh!

-

howard64 19:47 10 Jun 2007

try running system restore back to a date before you noticed the problems

Patr100 20:30 10 Jun 2007

System restore was off = there is no restore point.

VoG II 20:36 10 Jun 2007

No Acronis or Ghost image to restore to?

Patr100 20:37 10 Jun 2007

Nope.

SANTOS7 20:48 10 Jun 2007

Sometimes a clean reinstall is (and i think the only option you have) the way to go, and what you need to do then is put in a backup stategy with one of the progs VoG™ has mentioned.
Whether it be to removable media or a second HDD you use is up to you but a BACKUP of your system files and progs you cannot do without..

Patr100 20:58 10 Jun 2007

I'm prepared to do that - I have the Medion systen restore disk and can re install everything else - ity's just as a last resort although as nero.exe is infected I cannot copy anything to disk unkless windows own generic disk writing is fuctional - I shall soon find out.

Infections are still popping up via AVG and I am trying to be careful.

-
-

SANTOS7 21:03 10 Jun 2007

Its a harsh lesson, especially if you have important docs and files that you may loose and trying to copy anything to disc at the moment i think would be a waste of time as you could copy infected files as well..

p;3 21:12 10 Jun 2007

of interest what other protection/cleaning programs do you have on there ? and if you do DO a reinstall do ensure system restore is turned ON::))

p;3 21:14 10 Jun 2007

rephrase that a tad; when you HAVE done the reinstall if that is what you do; then ensure you turn system restore ON when all IS reloaded and take a good clean point TO restore back to too

Patr100 21:14 10 Jun 2007

Only clean files will be copied. Thankfully my own files seem ok so far - if they can't go onto DVD I shall have to buy an external USB disk Oh well better get on and sort it. Thanks for your comments.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017