working with virgin broadband

johnnyrocker 20:24 05 Jul 2007

my daughter asked me to sort out why the new b/band she got was not working, i found she had a belkin router (cable connections and wireless)after much fiddling i unplugged the virgin modem from the wireless router and connect to the only ethernet port on the pc and the internet worked ok, her daughter has a laptop hence the wireless router, the problem now is i cannot see any way of connecting the router as there is only one ethernet port on pc, might a wireless usb router do the job? (sorry forgot to make a note of the belkin model)

johnny.

johnnyrocker 21:21 05 Jul 2007

evening shift?

johnny.

VoG II 21:24 05 Jul 2007

You need to follow the instructions for the wireless router.

johnnyrocker 21:28 05 Jul 2007

i have no way of connecting it as no internet if modem feeds router then cable to pc

johnny.

mgmcc 22:29 05 Jul 2007

To swap over the Cable Modem connection from the PC to the router, it is *ESSENTIAL* that the Cable Modem is powered off and left without power for two or three minutes. This is so that it releases the association between the existing connection (recognised by its MAC address) and the IP address it has allocated.

Connect the router's WAN port by network cable to the Modem's ethernet port and a second network cable from the PC's ethernet port to one of the router's LAN ports. Power on the Modem and when fully booted, power on the router. When it's up and running, boot the PC. The Modem will recognise a new connection and allocate a different IP address to it. You should then have Internet access.

To swap connections back again, repeat the step of leaving the Modem without power for several minutes.

johnnyrocker 22:33 05 Jul 2007

many thanks for that it may well be the solution i am looking for

johnny.

woodchip 23:07 05 Jul 2007

If its a Wireless then you need to enter the Setup Page for the modem. Through a Browser. You have to type in the address bar something on these lines 192.168.1.1 then press enter. But your router may be different address. You get settings from Router for the Wirelss Laptop then enter settings in Laptop Settings Software

johnnyrocker 07:08 06 Jul 2007

passed all on as going on hols, will see whats what on my return, thanks to all

johnny

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?