working printer with router

quod55 20:08 01 Dec 2008

I have a US Robotics wireless router which has a USB connection in the back so I can connect my printer. This allows me to print from wireless laptops without having to have my main desktop on.

I've decided to look for a new N router but I can't find one with a USB connection on the back for a printer. Can anyone suggest one or another way sharing a printer without having to have my main computer on as well.

Thanks for any help Tony

CLONNEN 20:29 01 Dec 2008

Get a network printer that comes with ethernet connection then you can just plug it into one of the router's ethernet sockets - I have a HP Photosmart which connects this way.

Alternatively you could try a USB to ethernet Print server device such as click here

CLONNEN 20:44 01 Dec 2008

The downside of the USB Print Server is that you will use up an additional plug socket. So you would be using 3 mains power sockets (the router, the print server and the USB printer). Not really good for the environment or your electric bill.

An ethernet printer only requires 2 mains sockets (the router and the printer).

But if your USB printer is still quite new and you don't want to change it you probably would prefer the Print Server option.

quod55 20:48 01 Dec 2008

thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?