Workgroup help

Sidey 21:35 05 Aug 2006

So I just set up a new workgroup, its got my "main" computer and my "laptop". When I go to my network places and click view workgroup computers, it shows both PC's, but when I try this on my laptop it says,

"MAIN" is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the admin of this server to find out if you have acceess permissions.
The list of servers is not surrently avaiable."

And when I try and access "laptop" from my main computer it says:

"Laptop" is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the admin of this server to find out if you have acceess permissions.
The network path was not found"

Any help to this would be great thanks :D

ade.h 21:59 05 Aug 2006

Did you configure the client firewalls?

Have you created shares?

Sidey 22:01 05 Aug 2006

ive tried it with the firewall off, and it still doesn't work.
And yep

ade.h 22:07 05 Aug 2006

Simple or complex file sharing? (Home/Pro/or mixed?)

Sidey 22:21 05 Aug 2006

Both on pro, both wireless conections.

ade.h 22:29 05 Aug 2006

So you're NOT using Simple File Sharing then? If you are, turn it off. Then you can customise permissions.

Sidey 22:46 05 Aug 2006

How do i customise the permissions?

ade.h 23:44 05 Aug 2006

With SFS disabled, it's all on the Sharing tab of each share. Mostly, you'll want level 5. Expect possible trouble if your shares are in a location whose parent folder previously had privacy enabled.

You can also run the fsmgmt.msc and compmgmt.msc consoles.

Sidey 18:21 06 Aug 2006

Right, things have changed now.
On my main computer when I click my network places, I can see the shared folder on the PC, but not with the laptop, theres nothing in there.

When I click view workgroup computers on my main PC, theres only the Main PC there, not the laptop.
On my laptop, in My network places it dpesnt show the shared folder, and when I click View workgroup computers, it says the same :

"MAIN" is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the admin of this server to find out if you have acceess permissions.
The list of servers is not currently avaiable."

Demora 14:41 07 Aug 2006

I'm also having the same trouble but I'm having trouble with Zone Alarm on both my main and the laptop.

D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?