Workaround for 'extinct' Conexant audio driver?

terencek 12:26 30 May 2010

I apparently share a problem with many owners of older laptops using Conexant audio drivers which are no longer updated. My four-year-old Toshiba L20's Conexant AC-Link Audio drivers worked fine under XP, but upgrading to Windows 7 meant I lost the ability to record in stereo. Mono only! The drivers are apparently no longer being updated, and the Toshiba site doesn't help either (though it's also a problem for many HP owners I gather).

It is a fairly common issue, searching reveals, but no-one seems to have come up with a solution. Anyone got any ideas? I record a lot of streaming audio (usually with Audacity) and it's a nuisance to have everything in mono....

Graphicool1 17:07 30 May 2010

It's a long shot, but have you tried using Windows 7 'Program Compatibility Wizard'. It may be able to find some clone drivers that will do the trick?

chub_tor 18:09 30 May 2010

Another long shot but have you tried any of the suggestions on this site click here

gazzaho 06:56 31 May 2010

I own a Toshiba Satellite P100-188 and the Conexant sound card in the thing is totally rubbish, the sound is barely audible and thats because they changed the volume settings to mask the crackle and distortion on this sound card. I will never buy another laptop with Conexant sound period.

The only drivers I could find that work for Win 7 on my laptop are version 3.18.0.51, I'm not sure now but I believe I downloaded them from Toshiba themselves and if I remember correctly they are Vista drivers, but don't quote me on that, lol. It may be your only option other than buying a sound card such as the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS.

chub_tor 08:38 31 May 2010

It so happens that I also have a Toshiba P100-150 and the Conexant sound on it is perfectly acceptable on Win7 using the standard Windows HD driver. Perhaps that is the difference between the L20 and the P100 series, the former is not HD Audio and the latter is.

terencek 15:09 31 May 2010

Tks for the input but none of this fixed the no-stereo/mono-only problem -- I had already tried a few of them. Chub_tor's suggested site did indeed have some good ideas, but they relate only to the drivers not working at all; when I originally tried these it didn't resolve the no-stereo issue. And Windows Update insists I have the most up-to-date drivers.

The suggestion above about buying a new sound card puzzled me: for a laptop? Is this possible? I assumed laptop audio is always integrated...

onthelimit 15:11 31 May 2010
  gazzaho 16:36 31 May 2010

Regarding buying a sound card, it plugs into the PCMCIA slot on the side of the laptop. Do a search for PCMCIA cards on google or search on wikipedia for more info on them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017