Work computer set-up: Options needed

emerylloyd 14:27 08 Apr 2015

Hi All,

I require some help in choosing a new work computer set-up for our new office. We are currently using Novatech machines, two have gone down so far in a year and the other doesn't seem to handle the load I put on it. There are two of us in the office, so we require two new computers which I'd like to connect to a central server where we can access shared files, shared printer/scanners etc.

I do not know what is possible so please ignore my naivety. Our day to day tasks stretch no more than:

• Using Gmail through Google Chrome all day.
  • Viewing pdf files through Acrobat (I think), these are usually architects drawings or larger 60 page documents.
  • Using Microsoft Office; Word and Excel mainly.
  • Using Google Drive for our shared files currently.

Our current machines seem to struggle with this, they are often slow and also freeze for a couple of minutes every now and then.

If anyone can help with make/models that would be good for us; 2no computers and a server set-up? We have monitors and printers already.

Any more information needed, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:48 08 Apr 2015

They are pretty basic requirements what are the novatech machines you have now ?

perhaps we can solve the freezing issues?

add a NAS server how much storage do you require?

emerylloyd 16:04 08 Apr 2015

We currently have two NAI07's, they are the small oblong type mounted behind the monitor. The first had it's motherboard go down. I agree that they are basic requirements, hence my confusion as to why it seems so hard for the computers to cope.

The freezing issues occur when we; open a PDF file and try to scroll up/down/across to view it, print a file and when switching between multiple tabs or programs. It may seem odd, but it's almost as if the machines take a while to warm up. Sometimes they get smoother through continual use.

We would require perhaps 1TB of storage and 500GB to back up to when upgrading to our new kit. I'm pretty out of my depth with it all and would be happy to get somebody in, but would like an idea on costs.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:17 08 Apr 2015

Can't ssem to find them on the novatech site

any idea of the spec? mother board cpu ram hard drive size?

wee eddie 19:37 08 Apr 2015

Novatech NA107. Are you sure you have that name correct?

emerylloyd 20:23 08 Apr 2015

Sorry guys, I think its the "N-Box" PC, I just read the code on the data badge.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:45 08 Apr 2015

click here op system window??? 32bit or 64bit?

quite low memory how much room is spare on the HDDs?

what

wee eddie 21:40 08 Apr 2015

I have just read a review of the N-Box II from 2008. It was quite complementary but inferred that it would struggle with anything more than basic office tasks.

If this is the model you're running then the usual clutter will slow them even more.

Your budget is the next thing. Then read the PCA article on mini computers. If you're happy with your screens then there should be one to suit you, which can be hooked on the back of the screen

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?