Words of Caution

J B 11:59 14 Oct 2005

Yesterday I wrote a thread, threadid213785 about comparing Everest Home Edition to CS Fire Monitor. Well I am glad thar no one took up the invitation, for today I did my normal anti virus scan and when it finished I found that the program I downloaded from majorgeeks.com, CS Fire monitor was loaded with Adware. What a B****up on my part. So the only thing I can do is slap my face, because I made the mistake of not scanning the software while it was being downloaded. I definitely won't be making that goof up again. So I guess once bitten twice shy is the operative phrase for me now. Enough said on the subject, and good morning to all who read this lament. J.B.

961 12:03 14 Oct 2005

Don't worry. We've all been there

Belatucadrus 21:09 14 Oct 2005

I downloaded CS Fire Monitor using the Majorgeek European mirror and while I don't rate it when compared to Everest, the interface is too stylised and fussy. I didn't find any Spy/Ad ware in it and I've checked using deep scan with Microsoft Anti Spyware, Spybot S & D, SpyDefense and avast! AV. What found the Adware ?

J B 23:19 14 Oct 2005

My trusty Norton anti virus. They listed it as adware and also a threat . It was located in the CS Fire Monitor's set up files. While I had the program installed, for no reason the program was trying to access the internet and I was being asked to connect when I was working off line and not connected to the internet itself. I also thought that the interface was to fussy,and there was to much non essential informaton for me anyway. I now have Everest Home Edition, along with Belarc for the software side of it. J.B.

Diodorus Siculus 08:39 15 Oct 2005

It seemst that the scource code to CS Fire Monitor is freely available so it could be that someone has reworked it; I am surprised that MajorGeeks are hosting such a version though.

Belatucadrus 09:25 15 Oct 2005

Well there are various geek locations to choose from, maybe one has been tweaked. The European download seems OK. It could also be a false positive, but without knowing precisely what Norton detected it's all guesswork.

J B 10:23 15 Oct 2005

The only thing that I can say is that Norton classified the threat as adware with no specific title to it. I did check with Symantec, bit couldn't find anything specific such as title or description of the threat. I did download it from the Florida sight, however I will download from the European sight from now on. One other thing is that I only use Geek and Download.com unless someone recommends another site from this forum. We will see. J.B.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?