word spellchecker not working correctly

skylark101 19:54 09 Feb 2005

A friend of mine has just puchased a new computer with word 2002 already installed, but, when composing a document he realized that he had misspelt a word; but word had placed no wavy line underneath as it usually does to indicate an incorrect spelling, he then began to deliberately misspell a variety of words as an experiment; word did not pick up on any of them.
If anyone could offer a solution to this problem I would by very gratefull! Bye the way he reckons it is set up for UK English.

mattyc_92 19:57 09 Feb 2005

It may have been disabled... I can't remember how to enable it anymore, but other forum members could tell you, if not I will be back in a minute to see if I can get to that option on mine...

mattyc_92 20:00 09 Feb 2005

Went straight to it...

Open Word... Go to "Tools"->"Options" and click onto the "Spelling & Grammer" tab... Mine is setup like this... click here for a screenshot

The BB 20:01 09 Feb 2005

At the bottom of the page there should be a book turning its pages ... right click to turn on/off grammar and spelling.

And remember, a spell check is only a F7 away!

csqwared 20:03 09 Feb 2005

Tools/Options/Spelling and Grammar tab. There is a tick box for "check as you type". However, just to check the prog. it should spell check if you highlught the word and then go to Tools/Spelling & Grammar.

cc

mattyc_92 20:05 09 Feb 2005

or press F7...

csqwared 20:06 09 Feb 2005

How on earth do you do a screen shot, post it to a web site, type a reply & post it back here all in the space of three minutes??

mattyc_92 20:10 09 Feb 2005

Very easy... Fast internet conection and I am used to my system's configuration... lol

mattyc_92 20:12 09 Feb 2005

anyway, 3 minutes is slow for me... I normally make a screenshot and post it to a forum within around a minute and a half... (have done it may times, so that helps)..

mattyc_92 20:15 09 Feb 2005

Has any of the ideas that we have posted to you helped/worked???

skylark101 19:40 10 Feb 2005

I'll pass these possible solutions on to my friend at work tommorrow (Fri) but will not find out if anything worked until Monday, so I'll post a response Mon evening, thanks for all the help, much appreciated!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?