Word problems

griffo 16:21 14 Oct 2003

suddenly my word blank document (Doc1) has adjusted the right hand tab, which means I cannot use more than about 2/3rds of the page width. Can anyone advise how to reset the default please?

RussWoo 16:27 14 Oct 2003

Word has a habit of altering setting for some reason that I have never fathomed. Click File then Page Setup then on the Margins page alter the settings as you want them then click Default at bottom left.

Diemmess 16:34 14 Oct 2003

A strong possibility and regular cure for this sort of thing is to accept that Word Normal template is corrupt.

Come out of Word - find Normal.dot wherever it is, and delete it.

Since this is an essential part of Word and covers many of its doings, Word will oblige and on opening again, will make a brand new Normal document template for you.

griffo 16:42 14 Oct 2003

tried that - didn't work. Thanks anyway

griffo 16:43 14 Oct 2003

Normal.dot not found in a search. Any other ideas please?

mark e 16:43 14 Oct 2003

is it normal in xp to have 2 normal.dot per user in XP.

Diemmess 16:54 14 Oct 2003

I'm flummoxed!

Try a search for (Word) templates (I'm out of my depth for the next bit,)just maybe it is partly wrong-named. Be very sure it is the one you are looking for if you delete it!

If you have to post back give yourself more help in this forum, by saying which versions of Windows and Word you are using.

pj123 17:05 14 Oct 2003

If you are using Win98SE and Word 2000 normal.dot can be found in C:\windows\application data\microsoft\templates just delete it and when you next start word again it will make a new one. You will probably have to go to File, Page Setup and reset the margins as the Americans seem to like 1 and a quarter inch left and right margins. Once you have reset them to what you want click on default and OK. Should be OK after that.

griffo 17:11 14 Oct 2003

found it - had to look in 'hidden files and folders'. Hopefully now resolved thanks chaps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?