Word problem

lintony 12:22 08 Aug 2004

I have the strangest problem with Word. When I open it up, it doesn't show a blank page but has something that I previously did a cut and paste on from the Internet. I just can't get rid of it.
Can anyone help please?

VoG II 12:24 08 Aug 2004

Do a search for the file NORMAL.DOT - you may need to enable searching for hidden files and folders to see it. Rename it to NORMAL.OLD

Start Word. If the problem remains, reverse the above and post back.

lintony 12:32 08 Aug 2004

How do I enable searching for hidden files?

VoG II 12:35 08 Aug 2004

Depends on your version of Windows. In XP, Start, Search, enter NORMAL.DOT in the search box. Click on "More advanced Options" and tick "Search hidden files and folders".

lintony 12:49 08 Aug 2004

Sorry to appear so stupid, but I'm not very good at this sort of thing. I have Windows XP. I have gone into Start, Search, Search Files and folders as that it the only way the search box comes up,and keyed in NORMAL.DOT. I cannot find any More advanced Options. I have run the search with NORMAL.DOT but it couldn't find anything.

lintony 12:54 08 Aug 2004

VoG
I have just found the hidden files and folders in search and have changed it to show them. I have run the search again, but no joy.

VoG II 12:59 08 Aug 2004

On mine it is in

C:\Documents and Settings\Default\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

See if it is there using Windows Explorer. First use Tools/Folder Options, View tab and tick "Show hidden files and folders" and ignore any dire warnings.

Which version of Word do you have?

lintony 13:01 08 Aug 2004

Microsoft Word 2000

VoG II 13:06 08 Aug 2004

Perhaps Microsoft can explain better than I can click here

Stuartli 13:50 08 Aug 2004

Word Help and keying in "templates" outlines the procedures.

dave h 17:23 08 Aug 2004

Open MS Word.

From File menu click ‘Open’ to open a blank document..

From File menu, Click ‘Save As’.

From the ‘Save as Type’ slot at the bottom of the ‘Save As’ box, select ‘Document Template (*.dot)’

Then from the displayed .dot files in the main box, highlight the ‘normal.dot’ file. Right click on your mouse and select ‘delete’. In the query box, Click ‘Yes’.

Name your file ‘Normal’

Save it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?