Word pad to Microsoft Word

lauzc69 15:05 11 Dec 2006

Hi,

Only just joined here as I am having problems transferring my CV (which was from an old microsoft word which now opens up in word pad on my new computer) to my new microsoft word. The tables/boxes won't go across properly and get all jumbled up when I try to copy and paste.

Is there anyway I can transfer it from word pad to microsft word?

Thanks!

Totally-braindead 15:34 11 Dec 2006

Don't know if this will work but you could try saving it in wordpad as a different format and then try opening the file using your new version of word. I would take the precaution of saving it under another name though so the original file is still there.

Legolas 16:46 11 Dec 2006

If you right click on the wordpad doc and choose open with and then choose to open with msword it should open ok.

lotvic 21:32 11 Dec 2006

do what Legolas says
I have never had prob with old version word opening in new version word

lauzc69 13:51 12 Dec 2006

I have tried this

'If you right click on the wordpad doc and choose open with and then choose to open with msword'

and it still opens up all wrong, you can't even read most of it because the layout is muddled up.

lotvic 20:09 12 Dec 2006

Have you tried adjusting the margins on the 'muddled up' document whilst it is open in word?
That may bring it back to how it should look.

by the way what is the file extension? .rtf or .doc etc

and what version is your new microsoft word? is it part of Office or Works or what?

lauzc69 20:40 12 Dec 2006

It is Microsoft Works Word Processor 8.0, part of Microsoft works.

How do I find out what the file extension is?

I have just tried adjusting the margins but it didn't work.

A lot of the tables won't even change size or delete etc when it's open in microsoft word.

lauzc69 20:43 12 Dec 2006

Oh, I don't know if this may help but the boxes/tables are a really light grey and when you print the cv off, the boxes don't print. It's just like a guide on screen so you can lay everything out.

Wasn't sure if this may be the problem?

If I can't solve this, does anyone know how to make these boxes/tables in my new word so they show up on screen but when I print them off they don't show so I can copy the text across?

VoG II 20:49 12 Dec 2006

1. Click Start.
2. Click My Computer.
3. Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
4. Select the View Tab.
5. Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.
6. Click Yes to confirm.
7. Uncheck the Hide file extensions for known file types.
8. Click OK.

lotvic 20:51 12 Dec 2006

to see the file extension
My Documents > View > Details

any idea which word it was created in originally?

lauzc69 00:26 13 Dec 2006

It's a wordpad document.

I think it was microsoft word '97 or '98 which it was originally created in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?