word not opening in vista

taskmaster 12:01 16 Jun 2008

Word documents created on my Windows Me pc do not open in Works on new vista pc unless saved as rich text document beforehand. Any ideas? If all docs have to be saved as rich text before transferring to new machine, do I have to change them individually?

Covergirl 12:41 16 Jun 2008

. . . and a damn nuisance it is too.

Here's a quote from the Works website click here " Share & edit Works Word Processor and Spreadsheet files with Microsoft® Office Word and Microsoft® Office Excel and vice versa.* " so what are you doing wrong ?

Versions I reckon. I don't know any more, sorry.

lil27 12:58 16 Jun 2008

If you open the word document, nothing appears i.e. no text. What you simply have to do is select save (instead of open) and this converts the word document into a WPS document. You can then open it and edit it etc as you would with the word document.

Note that Microsoft Word is not the same as Microsoft WPS. Word is an Office document and WPS is not. Does pretty much the sam as word therefore no nead to go out and buy Office.

I think the same applies when using Excel documents.

Good luck

Taff™ 08:48 18 Jun 2008

Get OpenOffice which will work on Vista and is compatible with Word/Excel/Powerpoint etc. click here It will open and save in Word Formats. Much better than Works in all departments.

anchor 13:23 22 Jun 2008

I recently heard a talk by Bill Gates when he commented on Vista, and its lower than expected sales.

He said that Microsoft "probably" made a mistake concentrating on the security aspects of their new OS, and not sufficiently considering the problems of compatibility.

taskmaster 22:03 23 Jun 2008

Many thanks for advice and it is either Open Office or maybe Tesco Office which some mags reckon is okay for £20.

wee eddie 17:31 24 Jun 2008

What version of Word were the Files made with?

Does your version of Works have a copy of Word included? If so which version?

M$ Have a fix on their site to enable you to do what you want. I have no idea where it is.

You may have to start another thread: "How do I get Word X (or Works Y) to read files made by Word R"

taskmaster 21:36 26 Jun 2008

Thanks Wee Eddie. It seems files were created in Word 2000 - version 9 while my vista machine came with Works Word Processor version 8.5

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?