word keeps saving to wordpad

mco 17:00 10 Feb 2006

Help please! O/h's doing stuff in Word 98 and when he saves it as a word document, the next time he goes to my documents to retrieve it it opens up in wordpad. If you click on it to change what you open it with it says the file is 'not a valid win32 application. But he's got MS word and can type and save into it - and then...why does it keep doing this?

Diemmess 17:20 10 Feb 2006

Possibly the subscript in Word is not set at "Word Document" and is set as "Rich Text Format" or similar instead?

(Don't you mean Word 97, I think Word went v6 to 97 to 2000)

mco 18:15 10 Feb 2006

I probably do mean Word97, sorry. Where/what is the subscript so I can change it?

VoG II 18:20 10 Feb 2006

Tools|Options, Save tab. Make sure it is set to 'Word Document (*.Doc)'.

mco 19:34 10 Feb 2006

..but when you try to retrieve it at a later date, it's wordpad. I found this on google -when o/h brings me laptop I'll have a go.
click here

old sapper 22:16 01 Jun 2006

I saw mco's response and thought, "Hurray" this would solve it, but not for me. I'm using XP and Office 2000 but since having my laptop rebooted with no Office disc to hand, (Office installed later) I save everything in Word but when I re-open it, I find it always in Wordpad, an absolute pain. Any more ideas please?

wee eddie 22:47 01 Jun 2006

When you click "Save As"

On the top of the Window that opens there is a Selection Area which defines where a File is going to be placed. You use the little yellow folder Icon to navigate up through your System and chose - say My Documents.

On the bottom of the Window that opens there are 2 Selection Areas:- "File Name" and "Save as type"

"File Name.doc" and "Word Document (*.doc)"

So name your File and make sure the lower one is showing "*.doc"

VoG II 22:50 01 Jun 2006

Shift plus right click a Word document, choose Open With. Click Browse, select Word and tick 'Always use this program to open this type of file'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires