Word - Headers/Indexes

collinsc 11:29 08 May 2008

I am about to put together a 60 page document. All of the information will be pulled from 2 other documents and combined.

What is the best way of going about this task regarding a contents page and Headers. Shall I insert all of the information and then create headers and generate an index from that? Or is it better to set up Headers and Index prior!? If so – how would I go about that…

All advice appreciated.

Thanks

collinsc 11:32 08 May 2008

The 2 documents were written by different people and therefore the formats differ, hence why I don’t want to use one as a template- which would have been hugely beneficial! i.e. ive attempted doing that and pasting in info from the other document, but it just did not work!

collinsc 11:53 08 May 2008

Another Update:
I have got it in a position I am happy with i.e. by using one as a template. Will this cause me trouble later on when trying to do indexes?
Or should it be ok, providing I get all the ‘headers’ correct?

thanks

Chris the Ancient 16:07 08 May 2008

Needless to say, make sure you have a saved copy of everything BEFORE you start.

Then...

Try this... (I'm on Word XP)

Combine the two documents. Go to the Format menu and apply Autoformat and use an appropriate style.

Go to the beginning of the document and go to the Insert menu, select Reference and call up Table of Contents. Choose an appropriate style.

If the authors have not used any heading weights in the creation of their documents, this may well not work - so be prepared to indulge in a bit of editing!

collinsc 16:39 08 May 2008

Thanks Chris - i'll give it a go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone