Word documents on windows 98 transfered to XP

lewis187 20:44 24 Feb 2004

i have many word documents on my old windows 98 system which i would like to transfer to my windows xp system.
Although when i try to transfer them on a floppy (old pc so has not got a cd burner) it cannot access the documents and tells me that it was written on a 98 (which i knew) yet i stil cannot open them
Does anyone know any ways of transferring the data in order to access it through office xp?
Thanks for any help.
lewis

bremner 20:49 24 Feb 2004

I transfer Word documents regularly from a machine running W98 to one running XP Pro with no problem.

I have used both floppy disks and more recently a USB thumb drive.

The XP Pro machine has Word 2003 and the W98 machine Word 97.

Taff36 10:30 25 Feb 2004

I have Word 97 and Office XP Pro machines and there are no problems interchanging files so look for another problem. Have you tried checking the attributes of these files? Will a newly formatted floppy work or can you e-mail one successfully and open it in which case you might look at one of the floppy drives as the problem.

lewis187 16:44 25 Feb 2004

i have tryed formatting the floppys before saving the data on then when i transfer them to XP it does net let me access the files and i cannot email them as the 98 system is very basic without even a modem or usb ports!

The Spires 16:52 25 Feb 2004

If you zip the docs up first the attributes of the files won't change.

bremner 16:56 25 Feb 2004

Anther step would be to temporarily install the hard drive from the old machine into the new one as a slave.

This may sound difficult but it is actually very simple. So long as the new machine has an open case warranty I would consider it.

If you want we can give you a step by step explanation of how to do it if you want.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017