WORD DOCUMENT START PAGE

Duncanf 22:44 22 Apr 2008

How can I ensure that when I click on WORD to open a blank page, I will always get exactly the same blank layout, view, margins and fonts? I'm sure there is somewhere to create and save your desired default. Thanks in anticipation.

Lee.C 01:54 23 Apr 2008

If you've got a version of Word before 2007.....

The blank file used is called normal.dot and can be found in:-

XP - documents and settings/yourname/application data/microsoft/templates

Vista - users/yourname/appdata/local/microsoft/templates

To get there, you'll probably need to go into folder options first to show all hidden files and protected files.

When you've opened it, set everything up as you want and then save it using the same name.

If you have Word 2007 it's much easier.....

On the Home and Page Setup ribbons are various little crosses in the bottom-right corner. If you click on them, it'll let you change various settings. On each one is a 'default' button so that it will remember it for next time.

Pineman100 08:38 23 Apr 2008

Lee.C has given you the solution if you *always* want your default Word document to be exactly the same.

However, if you want to have a number of choices of document layout (margins, fonts, even letterheads, etc.) then you can create them as templates.

Open a blank document and make all the changes that you want to it, including the addition of text - your address perhaps. Then click File>Save As.

In the Save As Type box, click the down arrow and choose Document Template. Give the template a suitable File Name (for example "my letterhead"), then click Save.

When you want to open one of your templates, click File>New and then (if necessary) click the General tab. You'll see all your templates listed. Click the one you want to use and then click OK.

The above works with older Word versions. The process will probably be different on Word 2007.

Duncanf 09:29 23 Apr 2008

Thanks very much to both of you. That's exactly the options I was looking for. Case solved!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?