Word Docs won't open in Office 2000

rotate 08:53 10 Nov 2004

This one is on behalf of my Cousin. He has Windows 98 and Office 2000 installed. Any Word Docs he tries to open in Office 2000 all of a sudden won’t open. He can however open them using Microsoft Works (Word). He has not had any problems opening these Docs in Office 2000 before now. Any suggestions would be gratefully received and I will pass on the information to him.
Kind regards to all.

Diemmess 09:11 10 Nov 2004

Does he know whether the "unopenables" carry the doc subscript? It is possible that they are wks or whatever Works calls them.

He could try re-naming one of the files as xxxx.doc and then try opening it

rotate 09:20 10 Nov 2004

OK thanks for that, I will ask him to check that out but he did say that they used to open in Office 2000. I wonder if he has assigned them all to Works but I thought Word within Works would be the same.
One point I will mention is that he has uninstalled Office and re-installed it again. This made no difference.

Diemmess 09:24 10 Nov 2004

I'm on shaky ground I know, but the various routines to make a file "open-with" a particular application,.... might have accidentally changed something.

rotate 14:19 18 Nov 2004

Problem is resolved but had to rename all of the files and ‘save as’ Word files once again. It does not solve why the problem occurred in the first place though, put it down to one of those things.
Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?