Word doc download problem

Sirpad 13:43 09 Jul 2008

A friend of mine is telling me he can't download an attached Word doc from an email. He also said that 'a friend' had installed Word on his PC. Could it be that because he didn't get Word through legal channels that he's missing something. And no, 'a friend' is not myself.

Ditch999 14:16 09 Jul 2008

How does he read his mail? Is it web based or with a Mail client like Outlook Express?
He could try saving the Word doc to his PC first then try opening it.

kalignorgna 14:20 09 Jul 2008

may be that your freind has 2003 office and the attached file is the ne office 2007 tell him to go to microsoft download centre and download the office patch should be on main page at number 1: Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats then get him to try again and it should work

Sirpad 19:35 09 Jul 2008

Thanks guys - will show him how to do this...I think his email is web-based. Also, i only have Outlook 2003 and never have problems downloading files....

Sirpad 10:42 22 Jul 2008

Thanks for all the help guys.....the Microsoft compatibility pack seemed to do the trick. I've had .docx files sent to me before and I didn't realize I could open them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?