Word can't read Open Office- why?

adopted.son 02:51 06 Feb 2008

I just purchased via ebay a 2005 refurb Gateway XP Media Center tower and inadvertantly declined the "free" Office 2003 trial and now it wants me to buy the license. Rubbish, I say. Shoulda come with the package, by my reasonings. Nonetheless, I heard about Open Office and downloaded it. It reads my .doc's but when I tried to open an open doc on another computer using Word, it said that the file was corrupted and was unable to open it.
I was under the impression that these two apps were compatible. Wot?
eric in Florida [email protected]

Taff™ 06:16 06 Feb 2008

By default OO saves in a different format. To change these open Writer and go to Tools>Options. In the left hand pane click the + sign next to Load and then select General. In the right pane alter the bottom right hand drop down box to Microsoft Word/2000/XP. Then select Spreadsheet in the left drop box and as before for the right drop box. Hope that makes sense.

You will have to open your current existing Writer documents and do a "Save As" exercise to allow Word to open them. In future all documents you create in OO will be saved with the MS default file extensions.

adopted.son 20:23 06 Feb 2008

I'll give it a go. Thanks. If it happens I've brain damage, I'll get back with ya!
-eric

adopted.son 01:48 07 Feb 2008

Don'tcha love it when folks jump straight away into the panic mobile prior to reading all the instructions and exploring the programme?
I drove the Magix software support guy nuts for awhile, too!
God bless you patient tech knowledgeable types!
"Narrow is the way. So be "narrow" minded!
Be blest!
eric

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?