Word 97 , problems opening and printing .doc files

hwm 15:10 16 Feb 2009

Following a major crash on my XP computer I reinstalled XP and Word 97. Now Word will not open .doc files from OE 6.0 attachments and freezes the program. Also, attempts to print documents typed into Word result in the following screen notice "Microsoft Word for Windows 97 application file has encountered a problem and needs to close".

I have reinstalled Word several times using the Control Panel - Add or Remove programs, which also involved using the Installation disk, to no avail. I have checked "file associaton" and this seems to be correctly pointing .doc to Word. I have also reinstalled my printer software but still no joy.
Can antone assist please?

dartx10 15:28 16 Feb 2009

if it is a newer xp it may not be compatible

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:04 16 Feb 2009

reinstall printer driver and software for printer

hwm 10:02 17 Feb 2009

Thanks to Dartx10 and Fruit Bat, it is an old Pc and all software was fully functional before crash. I have already reinstalled all printer software and drivers.

PO79 12:29 17 Feb 2009

It may be that normal.dot is corrupt. It's worth doing a search for normal.dot (the blank template that opens when you open word), and when found delete it. The next time you start word it will re-create a new version.

hwm 11:27 18 Feb 2009

Problem Solved!

Many thanks to those who tried to assist.
The answer to the problem was as follows:-

On installing Word 97 I accepted the default folder which was C:\program files\Office\office\etc.. When deleting Word, in an attempt to repair the program, the deleting process only deleted Winword.exe BUT not the C:\Program files\Office folder and contents. I then simply deleted the Office folder and by reinstalling Word 97 in C:\Progam files\Word the problem was solved. I'm not sure why but thank goodness it worked.

Again many thanks to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone