Word 2007 - page numbering and display problem

sheila.weston 10:53 20 Dec 2009

How do I add a blank first page to a book I am working on, so that it does not display when I show two pages at a time? I want the screen to display the book pages as they will appear when the book is open, with pictures on the left hand page. At the moment I have page one and other odd numbers on the left.

It is the DISPLAY which I want to change, as the actual page numbering display starts at Chapter 1.

Many thanks for any help.

FRANKMAC 11:55 20 Dec 2009

Im not too sure about how to chnage the display of your pages, but with regards to the numbering, if you type Page Numbering in the Help section, it tells you how to start the page numbers at Zero, so then page 1 would be the second page of your book. You can also format the page numbers there. Hope you find further helps regards the display

FRANKMAC 12:00 20 Dec 2009

Just had another thought, if you insert a title page (cover) at the beginging of your book, then followed by a blank page, then start numbering from Zero,that may work, so the first 2 pages would be the cover page followed by a blank page, the the next pages would be 3 & 4 and so on.

sheila.weston 17:30 20 Dec 2009

Many thanks, Frank. I hadn't realised that I could start numbering with a zero. I have found the 'insert blank page' option also, and the 'title page' now has a blank in front of it.

The first few pages need footers with the numbering in roman numerals. I then want the numbering for the rest of the book to start from Chapter 1 with numbers on odd pages only. I can see the varying options in the formatting window, but they don't seem to behave as they should. I'll have another look at some of the m/s demos and come back!

FRANKMAC 22:17 20 Dec 2009

click here try looking at this, it tells you how to start numbering after the first page, say page 5 or 6 for instance. Then i believe you could edit the footers of the previous pages and use roman numerals manually, a bit long winded but it may work. also tells you how to show page numbers on the odd pages only. Hope it helps. The rest is beyond my knowledge of word.

sheila.weston 12:16 21 Dec 2009

Many thanks, Frank. That is an excellent site. I appear to be doing everything correctly, but still get problems with the numbers showing on the starting page and then being absent for a few pages and appearing some pages later. It is something to do with the page and section breaks, I believe, and the continuos option, which sometimes seems to work and sometimes doesn't. I'll soldier on and maybe leave it for a bit.

sheila.weston 14:09 30 Dec 2009

I solved this by using the 'show format' option I had been inserting section breaks instead of inserting the next page option within the different sections.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?