Word 2007 blue background, white text.

xquest 09:22 16 May 2007

I have just installed Word 2007 and retained Word 2000 'just in case'. How do I set up Word 2007 to show 'blue background, white text' when I open it?
I've tried fiddling with the normal template and ended up with white text on a white background as the first screen on opening Word 2007.
Is it possible that Word 2007 has got confused because it shares the template file with Word 2000?
Any suggestions as to
1) how to get the blue background/white text at start-up ? and
2) how to get back to black text on a white screen?
xquest.

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:59 16 May 2007

click here and a longer discussion.....click here

G

xquest 22:48 16 May 2007

Thanks Gandalf, the second link was useful - it is the Microsoft forum and showes that I am not alone in deploring the lack of a blue background with white text. Luckily I have retained Word 2000 as a separate program rather than letting Word 2007 replace it so will be reverting to the old faithful.
I can't get any satisfactory alternative - having puzzled over advice in that forum and getting nowhere.
Wake up Microsoft (and if it is hidden away let's have detailed instructions).

Migwell 07:25 17 May 2007

I don't understand what the benifits of blue background and white text are. Is it just a preferance or is there something else to it? After all if it were worth while would a news paper not be better off printed on blue paper and white ink?

Sorry to asking questions on your post but I thought we wouls see the answers come in better here. Thanks Migwell

laurie53 08:45 17 May 2007

I suspect it might be a matter of personal preference.

It was the original default of Wordperfect, which was once the wordprocessor of choice, and the change, for me at least, took a lot of getting used to.

I made the change, others obviously would like to choose not to.

xquest 14:39 17 May 2007

Yes, it is personal preference, and after years of 'blue screen' the effect of all that white is somewhat dazzling. A newspaper is far more densely printed than a word processor screen - usually, and isn't the same fluorescent white as a screen.
My work-around is to set up a template with blue background, white text, save it and put a shortcut to it on the desktop. This opens Word 2007 and all I must remember is to immediately save it under a new name.
Meanwhile I live in hopes that Microsoft will take notice.
Thanks for all your comments, xquest

Eric10 18:12 17 May 2007

If your template document's extension is .dotx or .dotm then it will be a proper Word 2007 template and will open a new document when double-clicked. It will then prompt you for a filename if you click on 'Save' rather than just overwriting the original. The extension .dotx is used if you don't need to use VBA in your document and .dotm if VBA is required. If you have just saved your "template" as a normal document then change the extension of the filename and try it out. I don't have Word 2007 up and running so can't test it myself but I am confident that it will work just as it did for .dot in Word 2003.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?