Word 2007 application form help

legalrep 08:08 20 Mar 2009

I have a job application form to fill out in Word 2007. The format is locked and I can't change text size or delete the pre formatted for, is there any way I can "unlock" the format of the form?

wiz-king 08:30 20 Mar 2009

They may mean you to print it out and post it back!

wiz-king 08:34 20 Mar 2009

If you go to the 'Review' tab, on the far right is the 'Protection' settings that might do what you want.

mgmcc 08:46 20 Mar 2009

If certain sections of the document have been "protected", you will almost certainly need the Password to disable the protection.

legalrep 08:54 20 Mar 2009

thanks guys they say to use the electronic form as there is a lot of info to include but the forms formatting is all over the place once I start entering data! Looks like I will have to print form off and fill in by hand! Wiz-king the protection says un protected but not able to edit anything!

march 08:55 20 Mar 2009

legalrep

do any of these help you?

First, display the Developer tab in the ribbon: Click the Office button, and
then click Word Options. In the Popular category, check the "Show Developer
tab in the Ribbon" option. Click OK.
Then, turn off document protection: Click the Developer tab. Click Protect
Document, and then click Restrict Formatting and Editing. Word displays a
task pane. Click the Stop Protection button. If prompted for a password, type
it and then click OK.
Now, you can edit the form as in previous versions of Word. To add form
fields, click the Legacy Tools button (in the Controls group), and then
choose from the options listed under "Legacy Forms." To edit the properties
of a form field, just double-click it, as in earlier versions of Word.
When you want to reprotect the form, click the Yes, Start Enforcing
Protection button on the task pane.

or this?
Microsoft Office 2007 Compatibility
All Simply-docs documents are fully compatible with Microsoft Office 2007. At present, descriptions for documents that are locked or in “fixed field format” refer only to previous versions of Microsoft Office.
Unlocking Documents
To unlock a document in Word 2007, please follow these steps:
1. Click on the “Review” tab at the top of your screen. This reveals a new toolbar. At the far right of this toolbar is a button labelled “Protect Document”.
2. Click on the “Protect Document” button. This opens a panel on the right-hand side of your screen setting out your current permissions. At the foot of this panel is a button labelled “Stop Protection”.
3. Click on the “Stop Protection” button.
4. You are now free to edit all parts of the document.
Locking Documents
To lock a document in Word 2007, please follow these steps:
1. Click on the “Review” tab at the top of your screen. This reveals a new toolbar. At the far right of this toolbar is a button labelled “Protect Document”.
2. Click on the “Protect Document” button. This opens a panel on the right-hand side of your screen setting out your current permissions. In this panel is an area labelled “2. Editing Restrictions” and in this area is a checkbox.
3. Check the box in “Editing Restrictions”. This reveals a drop-down menu. From this menu, select “Filling in Forms”.
4. A button labelled “Yes, start enforcing protection” has been revealed. Click on that button. You will be asked to supply a password. The password is optional and can be left blank if you choose.
5. The document is now locked.

legalrep 09:06 20 Mar 2009

thanks march but no help i'm afraid, it reports the document as un restricted but as above you cannot change anything!

march 09:20 20 Mar 2009

try this bit long winded but might work

I made a test template with a table with multiple rows and columns, inserted some form fields into some of the cells, locked the template and then saved it.

Next, I opened a new (blank) document using the newly made, locked template.

I saved the new doc as test.doc. I could not over-ride the locked condition, nor could I put more characters into the form fields than I had specified in the template, and I could not modify the structure of the table.
Next, I exited that test.doc, and opened a new, blank page based on the normal.dot template, which is the default, of course.

Finally, I chose Insert/File and inserted the test.doc file that had been made to simulate a form. It inserted easily. Then I tried to over-ride the original locked condition and there was no problem. I typed in the text form fields in the cells. I could put in as many characters as I wanted, and was not limited to what I had specified in the template. The cells expanded to accommodate my changes. I was also able to modify the column width, row height, etc.

legalrep 10:02 20 Mar 2009

thanks march no luck i'm afraid looks like good old fashioned pen and paper!

march 10:16 20 Mar 2009

keep the post open & maybe someone will come up with an answer for you, best wishes & good luck with the job

regards march x

legalrep 12:00 20 Mar 2009

Cheers march

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?