Word 2003 Footnotes problem

johnincrete 05:19 19 Sep 2012

I have been creating a document over many days. Suddenly, when I add a footnote, there is a big space after the line before the first footnote. In fact, there are 5 paragraph marks. I don't seem able to get rid of this big space. Any ideas? I'm running Windows XP - I know it's old and so too is Word 2003 but I see no benefit to my usage to upgrade. In page setup, footers are set to be 1.25cm from the edge of A4 paper. Bottom margin is set to 1cm. It is a document of about 20 pages & I will print many copies so I am trying to print on as much of the page as possible.

chub_tor 08:51 19 Sep 2012
  johnincrete 15:31 21 Sep 2012

No chub_tor, it was no help because the problem is with footnotes not footers.

chub_tor 15:56 21 Sep 2012

Sorry about that. But how about this Click Here or if you Google positioning footnotes in word 2003 there is a pdf from Durham University with much more description - see section 5.

lotvic 16:15 21 Sep 2012

In Word 2003 Help it says:

1.On the Insert menu, point to Reference, and then click Footnote.

2.Under Location, click Footnotes or Endnotes.

3.Click the option you want in the Footnotes or Endnotes box. (there are 2 choices, Bottom of Page and Below Text)

4.Click Apply.

Maybe you could change it from whatever it is at the moment and see if that fixes it.

Also I noticed in the Troubleshoot section it says: Microsoft Word automatically moves the part of the footnote that does not fit in the available space to the next page. The amount of available space depends on the amount of text on the page, the margin settings for the document, and the number and length of the footnotes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone