Word 2003 files open in 2007 but are blank!

Daytona675 13:59 02 Feb 2011

Hi,

I have recently changed computers from XP home edition (32-bit) to Windows 7 ultimate (64-bit). I’ve also loaded MS Office 2007 onto my new computer. I’ve transferred all my Word & Excel documents created in Office 2003 across to the new computer. The problem I'm having now is when I open my old word files in 2007, the files open O.K. but the pages are blank. There must be data within the files because of the size of the files. I’m a bit stumped now and would be very grateful if someone could help me resolve this problem.

Thank you for taking time to read this thread.

northumbria61 14:20 02 Feb 2011

You probably need the MS Office Compatibilty Pack download from here click here BUT please install all High-Priority updates from Microsoft Update before downloading the Compatibility Pack.

Daytona675 14:41 02 Feb 2011

Hi Northumbria61,
Thank you for your response. I've already tried that when I first found the problem but it didn't cure it. I should've mentioned that in my original thread ... Sorry about that!

northumbria61 14:56 02 Feb 2011

I would have thought that would be the problem as the old files 2003 are saved in another format - 2007 are saved as DOCX

northumbria61 15:01 02 Feb 2011

Are your File Associations set the same - ie: in mine both .doc and .docx are set to open with Microsoft Open XML Converter.

northumbria61 15:12 02 Feb 2011

There may be something here that will help click here

Simsy 15:20 02 Feb 2011

might be to see if you can open the documents in Wordpad. (You should be able to do this if they are .doc files... though there may be issues if there are complex components such as images or other non-text things).

Or you could try installing OpenOffice and see if the docs concerned will open with this.

And really really clutching at straws, you could select all the content, (Ctl + A), and change the font colour, just in case it has got set to white. (I don't really believe that will work though!).

Having select all the text you could copy it, (Ctl + C), and paste it into a new document and see if that works.

Otherwise... good luck.

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?